By working together, we can keep your cards secure. Here’s how.
Card skimming happens. It’s rare, and it’s unfortunate, but it happens. Fortunately, there’s technology built into your card to protect you from fraud, and there are also actions you can take to protect yourself.
Card skimming happens when pin-hole cameras, card-reading devices and other hidden equipment is installed on ATMs or debit machines, and used to steal card data and personal identification numbers (PIN). Once the card data is stolen, it can be encoded on a counterfeit card, which the thieves can use to make their own purchases.
Chip cards have made card skimming a lot more difficult. Your PIN confirms your identity while the chip confirms the legitimacy of the card, building a multi-layered defence against fraud and identity theft.
Another plus with the chip card is that the merchant no longer needs to swipe your card, meaning it never needs to leave the safety of your hands.
INTERAC Flash† uses this same chip technology so you can quickly and – more importantly – securely make purchases by tapping your chip card. With Mobile Pay and Apple Pay, members can go one step further and do the same thing with their phone. You might feel exposed when you tap your card or your phone, but these payment methods come with the same level of security as your chip card purchases.
Technology’s only one piece of the security puzzle. Here are some steps you can take to keep your cards secure:
- Memorize your PIN and don’t share it with anyone.
- Protect your PIN. Use your hand or body to shield the keypad when entering your PIN.
- Choose a difficult PIN. Your address, phone number or birthday can be easy to guess.
- Check your transaction records against your financial statements regularly. Even if your card gets skimmed, you’ll catch it early.
- Keep an eye on your card. Don’t let it leave your sight – better yet, don’t let it leave your hands.
- Never use an ATM or debit machine that looks like it’s been tampered with or altered.
Card lost or stolen? Take control of when and where your Member Card® debit card is used with Lock’N’Block™ – the latest fraud management tool. With Lock’N’Block, you can “Lock” and “Unlock” your card on Affinity Mobile or Online Banking and set your card status to:
- Allow all transactions
- Only allow Canadian transactions
- Block all transactions
You’ll have peace of mind knowing your Member Card debit card can’t be used until you locate it (at which time you can “Unlock” your card start using it again) or contact us and report it lost or stolen.
Access the Lock’N’Block feature in Affinity Mobile under “More” or in Online Banking under “My Profile”.
If you have questions about card security, or if you need to report your Member Card debit card or credit card lost or stolen, call our Contact Centre at 1.866.863.6237.