District Council 9 is Affinity's Indigenous District representing First Nations communities and bands across the province. Current members include Beardy’s and Okemasis First Nation, Cowessess First Nation, Kahkewistahaw First Nation, Kinistin Saulteaux Nation, Little Pine First Nation, Lucky Man First Nation, Muskeg Lake Cree Nation, The Key First Nation, Wahpeton Dakota Nation and Whitecap Dakota First Nation.
Our Funding Principles and Preferences
We strive to distribute funding to programs and initiatives within our communities that best demonstrate their potential to benefit our community members. We support a broad range of initiatives benefiting First Nations Communities and individuals including:
- Initiatives supporting youth development, including education and sports, as well as those serving disadvantaged youth.
- Cultural events, pow wows and other community-embraced celebrations.
- Community economic development activities and First Nations advocacy initiatives.
- Arts and cultural initiatives and programs.
- Health initiatives.
- Environmental initiatives
- Elders and initiatives supporting seniors.
Types of requests considered:
- Program funding and 1-time project funding requests.
- Capital request for facilities construction or improvement projects.
- Capital requests for equipment, furnishings or other capital items.
Eligibility for Funding
Funding is available to:
- First Nations bands in Saskatchewan.
- Non-profit organizations operated by, or serving, indigenous communities and individuals.
- Other First Nations organizations and institutions (e.g. FSIN, Tribal Councils, etc.).
75% of our total funding is allocated to those bands who are members of the First Nations District. To promote distribution of funds to a broader number of communities and initiatives, we typically will award funding to the same community or organization only every second year, even though groups may apply annually.
In general, we don’t consider requests for the following:
- Private businesses or individuals.
- Political or lobby groups.
- Religious activities.
- Contingency funds or deficit funding.
- Housing or infrastructure projects.