District Council 8 represents 4 communities in our northwest region, including Canwood, Leask, Marcelin and Shellbrook.
Our Funding Principles and Preferences
We strive to distribute funding equitably across the communities within our district and immediate surrounding area to programs and initiatives that best demonstrate their potential to benefit our local residents and strengthen our communities.
Our preferred areas of support include:
- Community economic development.
- Youth and education.
- Health and the arts.
- Amateur sports and recreation.
Types of requests considered:
- Capital requests for facilities construction or improvement projects.
- Capital requests for equipment, furnishings or other capital items.
- Program funding and 1-time project funding requests.
When assessing applications, we put priority on:
- Initiatives that have limited access to other sources of funding, demonstrate a high need for Affinity support, and where Affinity support can help leverage other funds.
- Projects that benefit a large number of community members.
- Local, community-based organizations and initiatives that have wide-spread community support and a strong track record.
- Organizations that are Affinity members.
Eligibility for Funding
You’re eligible to apply for funding if:
- You’re a not-for-profit or other community-based voluntary organization.
- You’re a municipal, First Nations, or local educational institution or entity.
- Your organization and initiative is located in and/or benefits the communities within this district.
Typically, we don’t consider requests for the following:
- Private businesses or individuals.
- Political advocacy or lobby groups.
- Religious activities.
- Contingency funds or deficit funding.