COVID-19 Government Programs

Government of Saskatchewan

Provincial

Resources
Financial Assistance

Government of Canada 

Federal

Financial Assistance


Government of Saskatchewan - Provincial

Resources

Visit the Government of Saskatchewan’s COVID-19 page for the most up to date resources and information on:

Financial Assistance

The Saskatchewan Government is also launching programs specifically designed to assist people and businesses through these uncertain times. You can visit the Government of Saskatchewan’s COVID-19 Information for Businesses and Workers page for the most up to date resources and information on how this may impact your business or your job.

  • Job protected leave, accessing unpaid leave, removal of employment requirements and removal of doctor’s note requirements.
  • Self-Isolation Support Program eligibility requirements
  • Students will receive a 6 month freeze on their student loans.
  • Self-Isolation Support Program
  • COVID-19 Products and Supplies
    Can you help with the procurement of products, supplies, or innovative solutions? Please email procurement@gov.sk.ca to share your ideas.
  • Saskatchewan small businesses will receive additional provincial support to help deal with challenges through the new Saskatchewan Small Business Emergency Payment (SSBEP). The SSBEP provides a one-time grant for small and medium-sized enterprises directly affected by government public health orders related to COVID-19.  Grants will be paid based on 15 per cent of a business’ monthly sales revenue, to a maximum of $5,000.
The Re-Open Saskatchewan Plan and Guidelines for Businesses

Visit Re-open Saskatchewan to learn more about the phased-in plan to responsibly lift restrictions for businesses and services.

Re-Open Saskatchewan Training Subsidy

The Re-Open Saskatchewan Training Subsidy provides employers with up to $10,000 to provide training for increased health and safety requirements or adoption of new practices for social distancing protocols to existing employees. The application deadline is December 31, 2020.

Saskatchewan Tourism Sector Support Program (STSSP)

Learn more about the financial assistance that is available to tourism businesses who have seen a significant drop in revenue as a result of COVID-19 under the Saskatchewan Tourism Sector Support Program (STSSP).

Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA)

The federal government, in partnership with all provinces and territories has reached an agreement to implement the CECRA, which aims to lower rent by 75% for small businesses impacted by COVID-19. The program will work as a forgivable loan to qualifying commercial property owners for 50% of April, May, June, July and August payments. These loans will be forgiven if the property owner agrees to reduce the eligible small business tenant’s rent by at least 75% with the tenant paying the remaining 25%. Further details will be made available soon and can be found here.


Government of Canada - Federal

The Government of Canada is building and releasing new programs to help Canadians and minimize impact to their finances, work and businesses. You can  learn more about the programs and services released by the federal government here: COVID-19 Economic Response Plan.

Support for Individuals

Individuals and Families

  • Increasing the Canada Child Benefit to provide an extra $300 per child
  • Low and modest-income families will receive a special one-time Special Goods and Services Tax credit payment
  • Canadian banks are encouraged to provide Mortgage support
    • Affinity has launched our own Debt Relief Program which could help you out for up to 6 months on any of your loan products.
  • As of Sept 27, 2020, temporary changes have been made to the Employment Insurance program to support Canadians returning to work. If you’re eligible for EI, you will receive a minimum taxable benefit at a rate of $500 per week, or $300 per week for extended parental benefits. You can learn more about EI eligibility requirements by clicking here.
  • Beginning Oct 5, 2020, the Canadian Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB) will provide $500 per week to a maximum of two weeks for workers who are:
    • Unable to work because they have COVID‑19
    • Required to self-isolate for reasons related to COVID‑19
    • Have underlying medical conditions that make them more vulnerable to COVID‑19
  • Beginning Oct 5, 2020, the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) will provide $500 per week, for up to 26 weeks per household to eligible workers who are unable to work because they must care for children under the age of 12 or family members who are unable to attend school, daycares or facilities because of COVID‑19.
  • The Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) is a new benefit replacing the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) and takes effect on October 12, 2020. It is intended to provide up to $500 per week for 26 weeks to workers who have had their incomes reduced by at least 50% or have stopped working due to COVID‑19 and are eligible for the Employment Insurance program (EI).

Additional benefits

Seniors

Students

  • Receive a 6-month interest free pause of the repayment of your Canada Student Loans. No application necessary.
  • More help under the Canada Student Loans Program (CSLP), including doubling Canada Student Grants, expanding eligibility of financial assistance, and raising the maximum weekly amounts provided to student in 2020‑21

Youth

  • If you need someone to talk to please reach out through any of the contact methods for the Kid’s Help Phone.

Support for businesses

Avoiding layoffs

Access to credit

  • Establishing a Business Credit Availability Program to provide $65 billion in support to businesses through the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and Export Development Canada (EDC). This program includes:
    • Canada Emergency Business Account which provides up to $40,000 of interest free loans to small businesses and not-for-profits. The application deadline for CEBA is now December 31, 2020.
    • Loan Guarantee for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) through the EDC which could issue loans up to $6.45 million
    • Co-Lending Program for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises through the BDC which will co-lend and issue loans to up to $6.25 million through financial institutions. This support is available until September 30, 2020

Support for farmers
Farm Credit Canada will be issuing an additional $5 billion in credit to help Ag producers, agribusinesses and food processors. 

Supporting financial stability

More flexibility

Support for the air transportation sector
Ground lease rents will be waived until December 2020 for 21 airport authorities

Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA)
The federal government, in partnership with all provinces and territories has reached an agreement to implement the CECRA, which aims to lower rent by 75% for small businesses impacted by COVID-19. The program will work as a forgivable loan to qualifying commercial property owners for 50% of April, May, June, July and August payments. These loans will be forgiven if the property owner agrees to reduce the eligible small business tenant’s rent by at least 75% with the tenant paying the remaining 25%. Further details will be made available soon and can be found here.