Interac® e-Transfer is a safe and easy way to send money to anyone with an email address and a Canadian bank account. The sender just needs to know the recipient’s email address - no other personal or financial information is required. Recipients are notified by email when a transfer has been sent and can safely direct the money into the account of their choice.
e-Transfer allows you to send money to friends and family online, without having to write a cheque, withdraw cash, or meet in person. Transfer funds between your accounts held at other financial institutions, send money to help a loved one far away, or pay back your share of the tab for dinner.
- Your personal information is secure - no exchange of address, phone number, or account information is required
- A security question protects your money from being deposited by the wrong recipient
- Your money doesn’t actually ‘travel’ by email or text - the sending and receiving financial institutions transfer funds using established and secure banking procedures.
- Fast and easy to do
- Available 24 hours a day
- No hold on transfers
- Transfers may be cancelled before being deposited if necessary
Are there any fees for this service?
Yes, there is $1.00 non-refundable fee to send an Interac® e-Transfer. There is no fee to receive or cancel an Interac® e-Transfer.
Are there limits on this service?
Yes, there are maximum limits on transactions:
|Per transaction||Send (debit)
To access Interac® e-Transfer through Affinity Credit Union, you first need to be registered for online banking.
If you don’t have access to Affinity’s Online Banking yet, call TeleService at 1-866-863-6237 to set up your account. If you already use Online Banking, then you’re set to go!
The first time you use the Interac® e-Transfer function on your Affinity Online Banking, you’ll need to create your sender profile.
Create your Sender Profile
Simply login to Affinity’s Online Banking as usual. Under the Transfer Funds menu, select the Interac® e-Transfer button. A new window will appear, and ask you to enter your email address in the proper field. Then click on the ‘Create Profile’ button, and confirm.
To send funds, Add Recipient by entering the person’s name and address, and a Security Question and Answer that the Recipient will know. Inform the Recipient of the answer if necessary via phone or another secure means, not email.
- the answer must be one word, from 3 to 25 characters long, with no spaces, symbols, or numbers
- each Recipient’s information is saved for future use, and can be edited at any time.
Send an Interac® e-Transfer
Click on the Send Interac® e-Transfer button on the left, select the account you wish to transfer from, enter the amount to transfer, the recipient, and a message if needed. Click on Continue, and then Confirm, if the information summary is correct.
- Interac® holds all transactions for 30 minutes before processing for security.
- You can track the transfer status or cancel transfers using the buttons in the left navigation (“Pending...” and “Search...”)
Receive an Interac® e-Transfer
An email is sent to the Receiver informing them of the transfer.
If they use a participating financial institution, they can click on the link within the email. The link will allow them to select their financial institution from a list, which will take them to their web site to login to their online banking account. From there they can follow the steps of the deposit process.
If they don’t use a participating financial institution, they can click on the link within the email, that will allow them to select “My financial institution does not appear here” from a list. They can then create a profile with Interac®, who will proceed to deposit the funds into their account in 3-5 days.